Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Testing

Today is the last day of TCAP testing for many of our children. Our children have prepared for this week all year and a lot is riding on these few days of testing. Many of our kids are stressed about doing well, while others are calm and confident and are ready to do their best. A lot of controversy surrounds testing and many of us wonder if a test can accurately measure our child's academic achievement. I am a terrible tester. The moment a test is put in front of me my anxiety rises. The presence of that nasty piece of paper would make my mind immediately draw a blank and I would become terrified of failure. While I loathed taking tests at the time I am very thankful for the valuable life lessons it taught me.

1. There will always be tests.
They may not require number 2 pencils and scan-tron forms, but they are a part of life. As much as we detest them they are a reality. It can be something as simple as being overwhelmed by laundry to something as complicated and painful as losing a parent. Life tests us, not to destroy us, but to make us stronger. Our tests reveal our character and they help us to discover our community. 

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so you can stand up under it. 
1 Corinthians 10:13

2. How we respond to pressure matters.
We all have pressure to succeed whether internally, externally, or both, but it is how we respond to that pressure that decides whether or not we succeed. Do we choose to cower under the covers like we did when we were little or do we choose to face the challenge head on? Do we see test as an opportunity for growth or do we see them as something to dread? Consider what Paul wrote in James 1:2-4

Consider it pure joy, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 

When we are faced with a challenge do we respond with joy? Can we raise our kids in a way that will allow them to respond with joy? It may seem like a stretch comparing testing to trials that test our faith, but I don't think it is. Testing is a big deal for our kids, it's important to them to do well and how we respond to the little things is training ground for how we respond to the big things. 
   

3. Failure is not the end.
Every successful person has failed. Let that sink in, every successful person has a huge string of failures leading up to their success. Our success gets all of the recognition, but it is how we respond to our failures that matter. Failure is not the end, it is only the beginning. Moses stuttered, questioned God's judgement, and killed a man. Sarah laughed at God's promises. Jacob was a liar. Abraham was too old. Paul persecuted Christians. We come from a long line of failures, but their failures did not define them because they dusted themselves off and learned from their past and moved on. 

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But on thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. 
Philippians 3:12-14

Today as I send my boys off to school I do so confidently. As their mom it is my job to prepare them to become men and I trust that this week is just another stepping stone towards adulthood. If they worry about the results I will remind them of the truths I have learned and I will trust God with the rest.

How do you handle the stress of test time in your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment